Sunday, March 19, 2017

Walter White's Realization and My Own

In order to figure out how I will portray the main character's pain, I turned to the show that I believed portrayed a medical diagnosis the best: Breaking Bad. 

In this scene, (Possible Spoiler Alert, but if you haven't watched the masterpiece that is Breaking Bad yet, I don't know what you're doing with your life) Walter White is told he has terminal cancer. The diagnosis is not the most interesting part of the story though, rather, the way Walter reacts is not the way a person would expect the patient to react to a diagnosis in magnitude: he doesn't respond. However, this doesn't mean he is feeling nothing. Walter is in shock. The diagnosis was so rapid and sudden that he simply does not have time to comprehend the full significance of what he's just been told.

So what can I get from this scene? Well, originally, I was stuck on how to introduce the topic of a life destroying event or diagnosis in my film intro. So, through this excerpt from Breaking Bad, I was able to find a different way to portray the internal conflict of one of those events. However, I still need to figure out how to bring the other parts of my scene to life. Hopefully, with some further digging, I may be able to find some inspiration in some interesting an unexpected places in order to create a different and creative piece I'll be proud of for years to come.

Redirect Notice. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjekPqGheTSAhXGOiYKHWz3AaYQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amc.com%2Fshows%2Fbreaking-bad&psig=AFQjCNHDAYae-xhtRCoVstEOKXE2zEB-MQ&ust=1490063418708590

No comments:

Post a Comment